Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 3 in Juarez

Two things I have learned you don't do in Juarez...

1. Assume the road signs are marked correctly. For example, when the youth pastor has a van load full of students and he turns onto a one way road into oncoming traffic because there was not a sign that told me different. Yeah, you dont do that.

2. Assume that you can say "English words" in a Spanish accent and expect the locals to understand a darn word you are saying. For example, today we ran out of ice on the work site. I grabbed Alex Whitmore (no, he only speaks a little French) to go to a local store to pick up "purified ice." I got the store, told them I needed icea (yes, I added an "a" to ice) and I fake shivered. The guy looked at me confused. Alex picked up a piece of ice in the cooler and the guy nodded his head. I told him "Pure, Pure, Si.." He again looked at me like I was an idiot. He went back, packed a bag of ice and came out and put it on the counter. I said "Pure, Pure?" No response. So, I picked up a piece of ice and pretended to eat it and said "Si, ok?" He shook his head and said "Si." I paid him some pesos and moved on. When we got to the van, Alex looked at me and said "You know, I am not sure that this is Pure, what if someone dies?" I told him that I trusted the man behind the counter and that I was sure (not all that sure, but I had to comfort Alex) that the ice was totally pure. Anyway, I got to the site and one of our guides told us that the store was legit and we would be fine. By the way, no one has died from ice poisoning.

I say all of this for you to get a good laugh and pass it on to the elders with a note of concern for the health and safety of your children :)

We had a great day today! This morning we were able to put up all of the outside part of the walls, finish the roof and begin dry walling the inside. Tonight we worked hard getting parts of the dry wall up and the students put "stucco" on the walls. The kids had a chance to play with the neighborhood kids tonight and Andy Kuhn got a soccer game going with some of the neighbors. Today we went to the Soriana (Mexican Wal Mart) and bought a Kitchen Table, chairs, towels and some other items for the home. It was cool to let the kids hang out around the store and see them interact with people.

Tomorrow we are packing up from the church we have been able to stay at. We should be finished with the home by noon tomorrow! The students (and adults) are so excited to pass off the keys to the home off to the family, it is going to be a great day. Be praying for our return to the states tomorrow. We will need to go through some check points and hopefully we will have no hold ups.

Forgive me for my improper sentences and slurred stories, we are all pretty tired tonight. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts this week. See you tomorrow night.

Matt

5 comments:

  1. Hey Everyone, That's pretty scary that you trusted Matt to use broken spanish to get ice. But it is also more evidence of how God is taking care of you. You have worked hard this week and we are very proud of all of you. First for going into an area that most people have decided was to dangerous. Second, for working overtime to complete this project. We are praying for your return. Cannot wait to see all the pictures and hear all the testamonies. We love you all! Tim, Pam and Megan
    Matthew 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Well of course you're going to have stories such as this; it is Matt we're talking about here! :-) I trust that God continues to protect the safety and health of all who are there. I cannot imagine the emotion of handing over the keys to Victoria. How awesome that you were able to give her some kitchen necessities. I pray that as time goes on and these heightened emotions wane, that Victoria always remember the work you did in Jesus' name. I'm so proud of you, and pray that you continue to enjoy "safe ice"! May life never be the same for you. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Matt, this one made me LOL! How funny!

    God is taking care of all of you. What memories you will have!

    Tell Anne we love her and tell all the kids we are so proud of them. We're still praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! :) I can totally see that whole exchange in my head. Awesome. Minnesota 5 Kanssas 1. Cuddyer hit a homer to get us on the board, and then the Twins just kept on rocking home plate. :)
    What a lucky family. I'm going to let Rachel pick out my next Kitchen table. :)
    I started a game of tag at the mall the other day with two little spanish speaking girls, and na..na..nana..na transends all language barriers. :)
    Oh and the amnistey International boxes at the airport are not a spot to surrender weapons freeing the person of leagal prosecution. Nail files, mail openers, and other tolietres make super house warming gifts. :)
    Love you guys. Miss you bunches.
    Mish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw. Love you guys.
    You're making such an impact. You're not forgotten here!
    <3Madelynn

    ReplyDelete